Feng Shui is the art of arranging objects and space to create harmony and balance. Incorporating feng shui into your home creates positive energy flow by optimizing “Chi”. The term Feng Shui is comprised of two words: “Feng” meaning wind and “Shui” meaning water. While the principles apply to many areas of life, they are easily and commonly practiced in interior design to create harmony in your home. With all that is going on in the world today, it is even more important than ever to live in harmony. There are five important elements of feng shui:
- Wood = growth and creativity. Plants and wooden furniture are ways to add this element.
- Earth = stability and balance. Place rocks, crystal and landscape imagery to help ground your energy.
- Metal = logic and intelligence. Support knowledge by adding metal frames or sculptures.
- Water = wisdom and serenity. Mirrors and aquariums are ways to add water element to your space and helps with clarity and relaxation.
- Fire = Passion and energy. Using candles and red objects can enhance expansion and transformation by bringing this fire element into your space.
The Bagua Map
The tool most commonly used in feng shui home design is the bagua map. This helps guide us to identify which elements to incorporate into the space and enhance the flow. There are nine quadrants on the Bagua Map and each is associated with a color. The nine quadrants are wealth, Fame, Love, Family, Health, Children, Wisdom, Career and Helpful People. The easiest way to utilize this map is to simply divide your floor plan into a grid.
Lastly, here’s a few Feng Shui tips for creating good energy/flow:
- Clear the clutter. Too much mess inhibits energy from flowing and clutters your brain. A clean space gives you room to breath and a clear head.
- Use Crystals. Rose quartz for love and Citrine for healing and wealth.
- Light and Air need to be able to get in. Don’t block windows. Air is key to the meaning of feng shui. A combination of natural light and air will bring in good energy.
- Do not place back to the doorway. Place the bed and desk towards doorways. Facing the entrance increases power and reduces vulnerability.
- Add a natural element. Each room needs a houseplant. Not only do they improve the energy, they also increase health and purify the air.